Please express your disapproval of Government’s decision to bring into Belize high risk genetically modified food by calling or writing any or all of the Ministers and CEOs under whose responsibility this decision lies.
Personal letters are of course best, but a template is provided here which you can copy and paste into your own letter.
Dear Hon. Minister,
The unilateral action of Ministry of Agriculture in authorizing trial genetically modified (GM) crops is simply unacceptable – and contravenes the Belize National Biosafety Policy of 2009.
GM crops carry substantial risks, including:
* Health risks for humans, livestock and poultry.www.biolsci.org/v05p0706.htm#headingA11 / Prof. Don Huber, European Journal of Agronomy October 2009)
* Increasing toxic herbicide use. Most GM crops are engineered to be “herbicide tolerant.” Between 1996 and 2008 US Farmers sprayed an extra 383 million pounds of herbicide on GM crops. Overuse results in “superweeds” causing farmers to use even more toxic herbicides every year.
* Unsustainability. GM crops reduce bio-diversity, pollute water resources and GM seeds cannot be replanted.
* Destruction of non-GM export markets. Non-GM countries to which Belize now exports, like Japan, claim that truly independent research in GM technology is systematically blocked by the GM corporations which own the GM seeds and reference materials.
* Profit for big business without alleviating hunger. GM crops DO NOT increase yields and work against feeding a hungry world according to the Union of Concerned Scientists’ 2009 report Failure to Yield – the definitive study to date on GM crops and yield.
The moratorium on GM crops in Belize must be enforced as required by formal government policy and the principles of good governance. Further, clear evidence of the significant detrimental aspects of GM crops must be considered – and the public must be consulted – in any decision on the introduction of GM crops into Belize.
Ministry of Agriculture: Call 822-2320 / 822-2332 / 822-2241 / 224-4794
Minister of Agriculture Rene Montero (firstname.lastname@example.org)
CEO Gabino Canto (email@example.com)
CAO Eugene Waight (firstname.lastname@example.org)
BAHA Director Michael Thomas (email@example.com)
Director of Food Safety Services Michael DeShield (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Director of Plant Health Francisco Gutierrez (email@example.com)
Ministry of Natural Resources and the Environment 822-2630 / 822-3286
Minister Gaspar Vega (firstname.lastname@example.org)
CEO Beverly Castiillo (email@example.com)
DOE CEO Martin Alegria firstname.lastname@example.org
Ministry of Health 822-0589 / 822-2497 /822-2325 / 822-2363
Minister Pablo Marin
CEO Dr. Peter Allen (email@example.com)
Director of Health Services Dr. Michael Pitts (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Minister of Trade 822-2167 / 822-2322
Minister Wilfred Elrington
CEO Alexis Rosado (belizemfa(@btl.net)